Cordell Hull Foundation Teacher Exchange Program Guide Home Contact Us | Search




For your convenience, the basic steps for schools, districts, or states to establish a Teacher Exchange Program with the Cordell Hull Foundation for International Education to sponsor foreign exchange teachers in J-1 visa status are listed below.

  • Step 1 - Read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page at to search for answers to specific questions.
    For an overview, read the CHF Teacher Exchange Page on our primary website:
  • Step 2 - Complete the New Exchange Program Form.  Click here to access:
    New Exchange Program Application for School, District or State
    Be sure to fill out all information in the blanks. When finished, click on the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page. You will then receive a draft agreement describing CHF working terms.<

  • Step 3 Read and sign the draft CHF Memo of Agreement that will be emailed to you, custom-tailored to your school, district, or state, outlining the working arrangements to establish a teacher exchange. 
    FEE to sponsor a teacher for the first year is $1,500, payable in advance.  Note: 
    FEE for the second year is $800, and $800 for the third year if teachers stay 3 full years allowed in J-1 teacher visa status. 
    There are 15 categories of J-1 visas; some other categories have different allowable tenures.

  • Step 4 - Email to CHF - - name(s) and email address(es) of new teachers to enable us to send our instruction email on how to apply.

  • Step 5 - TEACHERS
    Ask teacher(s) to fill out a CHF Teacher Application Form.  Download here:
     CHF Teacher application
    NOTE:  If a pop-up box appears, press Cancel or ESC. 
    Teachers:  Save the file on your computer using your last name.  After completing the form, insert a digital photo and email to:

    You must access the Cordell Hull Bio on our websites to answer the first essay question: - Click on "About Us - Cordell Hull Bio" or

  • Step 6 - TEACHERS Fill out a J-2 Dependent Roster form for each child or your spouse. 
    J-2 sponsorship fees for spouse:  $200 if the spouse comes as the same time as the teacher; $100 per child
    $400 if the spouse arrives after the teacher; $200 if the child arrives after the teacher
    J-2 Dependent Roster
    Teachers, please fill in the interactive form for all dependents (spouse or child only) who will accompany you to live in the U.S.  Then click the SUBMIT FORM button at the bottom of the form.
  • Step 7 - SCHOOL (simultaneously while teachers complete application procedures) Fill out a J-1 Teacher Roster form for each teacher:  Click here:  J-1 Teacher Roster

    Reminder to schools:  Do not ask teachers to fill out this form unless they are paid by the government in their country of origin.  Be sure to fill out all information in the blanks. Check all details before submitting.  When finished, click the submit button at the bottom of the page.
  • Step 8 - School sends sponsorship fee to the Cordell Hull Foundation.  The invoice is included in the Memo of Agreement that was created and emailed to the new school in Step 3.  Following the spirit of the Fulbright Hayes Act, we do not allow teachers to pay the CHF sponsorship fee.
  • Step 9 - After establishing a working relationship via a Memorandum of Agreement with the school, district or state department of education, and receiving the necessary paperwork, CHF then enters into the online SEVIS system pertinent information about the teacher from the roster form and sends J visa DS-2019 support forms and an instruction cover letter to the teacher directly.
  • Step 10 - In order to obtain a J-1 visa stamp in the passport, the teacher must make an appointment for an interview with a consular officer at the American Embassy in the home country which can take from one to four weeks depending upon the country. See for a list of American Embassy websites in various countries.  For the second and third years in J-1 visa, it is not necessary for the teacher to request a J-1 visa stamp in the passport at an American Embassy if s/he does not leave the US.  Upon request by the school or district, CHF will issue renewal DS-2019 forms for second and third year J-1 visa terms.
  • Step 11 - The American Embassy charges an "entrance" fee of $160 to process the J-1 visa passport stamp plus a separate SEVIS-901 fee of $180.  Exchange teachers check the website of the American Embassy in their home countries to follow the specific procedures and to obtain any additional documents that may be required for non-immigrant visas.  The minimum document requirements for all J-1 exchange teachers are the interactive DS-160 form and SEVIS-901 form.  J-1 visa regulations require the exchange teacher to have sufficient grasp of English to be able to read and understand the process to make an appointment at the American Embassy, gather the paperwork, and pay fees to obtain the J-1 visa stamp in the passport.

  • Step 12 - Contact CHF office for new-teacher equilibration locations, annually held in August in Washington, DC; in August and September on the East and West Coasts; in September and October in the South.
    Teachers must book a reservation in advance to attend the obligatory seminar, and bring their passport, DS-2019 form, plus those of all family dependents, and the CHF Visa and Immigration Booklet mailed with the J-1 visa paperwork.
  • Step 13 - Arrange for hotel and flight accommodations for teachers to attend mandatory equilibration seminars for first-year teachers.  This cost may be borne by either the sponsoring school, district, or the teacher. The Equilibration Seminar is the most important aspect of the Teacher Exchange Program and will not be waived unless a CHF-sponsored teacher has previously attended a CHF workshop.


Direct questions or problems regarding this web site to
Copyright ? 2008 [Cordell Hull Foundation for International Education]. All rights reserved.


I am really sorry to inform you that the winder on the replacement replica watches has failed. I have taken it to a small watch repairer who says the screws on the winder are no good. I am deeply disappointed that this replica watches happen again. As I explained in my earlier watches store this was bought for me for my 75th. birthday which is on the 18th. of August. You send me a printed envelope with your address on with payment for replica watches sale and I will return the watch. I will have a look at your catalogue and pick a different watch which you will send to me free of charge. I have again spoken to my credit card supplier in the charge rolex replica uk department and have read out all the watches store from the beginning and they say there should not be a problem with a reimbursement if I send them all the details. I hope your personal situation improves very soon and we see that reflected in content that, yes is honest, but is of a more rolex replica uk and cheerful disposition.